Finding out about wine scares the hell out of me. I seek the
internet’s advice and I’m overwhelmed. Too much information!
Pivot to Plan B: I seek expert advice. Enter Olivier and
Marie, proprietors of Pierre's Wine Cellar http://www.pierreswinecellar.com/ in Lake Mary, Florida. This is the
closest little wine shop to my home, and fortunately it’s a great place to
learn about wine.
Pierre’s Wine Cellar (named after Olivier and Marie’s son)
is on a beautiful sunny street in the very cool downtown Lake Mary area. The
store’s beautiful, a visual treat, and Marie greeted me warmly. How to make
acquaintance with this wine shop when I know nothing about wine?
Well, fortunately I had a challenge.
Favorite Son spent the weekend with me last weekend because
this weekend—Mother’s Day—he will be with his beloved and her parents. How to
impress a potential possible future mother-in-law? Wine, of course. He knew she
likes something “Dry and white.” I put the challenge to Marie, told her what
he’d like to spend, and she immediately identified four excellent choices. Two
of these, however, she had reservations about recommending for this particular
occasion. Not because they were not wonderful wines, she hastened to explain,
but because they have screw tops. “The wine is wonderful, the screw top is safe
and keeps it all fresh, but the mother-in-law-to-be…she may not approve of the
screw top.” I understood and agreed. I purchased the wine—The Crusher
Chardonnay, 2012. (I got a bottle for myself, too. Finder’s fee, I figured.)
So my take-away: I’m not in this alone. I can ask dumb
questions. I can be myself—a charming know-nothing who wants to learn about
wine. Marie told me that they have a free wine-tasting session every Thursday
night and invited me. I’m not able to go this week, but it’s on my radar for
next week. The chance to meet other people who know and love wine? I figure
that’s an excellent opportunity in itself!
No comments:
Post a Comment