Sunday, May 3, 2015

All About Blithe Ignorance

I usually drink sh#tty wines.

You know the kind I mean, big jugs filled with vague-sounding wine like "chardonnay" or even more vague-sounding wine like "red wine." I usually swill down my wine with great gusto and not much discernment. I live in blithe ignorance of terms like "varietal," "white burgundy," and "tannic acid."

But I want to change. 

A friend gave me a life-changing bottle of wine, you see. It's not that this was an expensive bottle of high-faluting French wine, either. It was a very nice Napa Valley Merlot and when I drank it, I was amazed at how smooth and subtle it tasted. It wasn't the kind of wine I'd ordinarily chug down without thinking. As I sipped it, I wondered how it would taste with good food. 

I'm no expert on gourmet food, but I know what I like, and what I like is fresh. I'm not afraid of fat. I'm willing to spend a little extra for the good stuff. I like spices. I love to try new stuff. I'm writing this blog for people like me--people who love food and want to know more about wine. I'm writing for people who want to know what a "smooth wine with plum and lemon accents" means in terms of pairing it with a gyro or a juicy prime rib. Yeah, yeah, yeah, red wine with red meat, white wine with fish and fowl--I'm blithely ignorant. Learn with me.
What I Usually Drink

No comments:

Post a Comment